Monday 2 September 2013

WIPmarathon check-in #4

Better Late Than Never

It's been a hectic week and I couldn't bare to put up my last post with a diddy word count so I have accidentally on-purpose waited 'till Monday morning.

Started Marathon with         : 18,000 words

Last Saturdays Word count : 39,992 words

Today's word count            : 48,151 words

Estimated Count needed to finish the book : 4,000 words.  

So near and yet so far I'd say another weeks worth of writing.

How did everyone else do? Have a look.

What I learnt in writing this week?
You can;t finish your book on a chosen day or at a specific word count. I organised my marathon around the idea that I would finish at 47,000 words and although I hit that goal the characters hadn't finished wrestling with their life and death situations.

What Distracted me this week.
I've realised that nothing distracts me from writing, The truth is that other things just get in the way. The baby was poorly, got two new teeth and stopped sleeping. The need for sleep then got in the way of my writing, but it never distracted me, I was fully focused on what was happening.

And now for my last 200 words. It's not the end of the book, so I guess it's OK to share:

The woman turned rudely away and Albinia smiled, she would rather the woman wasn’t watching her anyway. A large group arrived at the door and the woman took a step forwards to halt their progress whilst asking to see their tickets. Albinia simply slipped through the entrance behind her and disappeared into the crowd. There must have been a thousand people inside. The gallery was huge, a thin wire kept guests from getting too close to the magnificent paintings which adorned the walls, but few people were actually looking. The beautiful people of Sydney’s arty-farty world were too busy hobnobbing with one another, swilling champagne and snatching tasty morsels off passing platters. Somewhere in amongst this mess of dickie-bows and high-heels was Albinia’s mother and potentially some rather hostile individuals as well. Albinia began moving through the sea of people, trying to keep to the natural flow and avoid drawing attention to herself. 

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on being so close to finishing! That's a huge achievement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great word count, congrats! And so close, you'll easily make that by Saturday and I look forward to your next update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True! You can't finish your book at a specific word count no matter how calculated you think you are. I'm just realizing this too.

    Good luck and hope you finish this week. I want to finish this week too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on all the progress you've made!! You're right. We can't predetermine the length of our first drafts. It happens as it happens. :)

    Good luck! I look forward to hearing that you've finished!

    ReplyDelete