Saturday 3 August 2013

WIPmarathon check in #1.

OK, I started this marathon having written 18,020 words. (half way through chapter 9)
As of today I have ( drum roll please ) .....19,077 words.  (now ready to start chapter 10)

WIP issues this week?
Getting started. I hadn't written for two weeks and though I was doing a great job of blaming the Summer holidays and kids under my feet I knew the true reason was different. I had hit a plot hurdle. I had introduced a new and important character. He had agreed to help. My two protagonists were ready to receive his important information that would ultimately (but not yet) lead to the unravelling of the great mystery and yet I didn't know what the information was.

What I learnt this week in writing?
Sometimes it's OK to be vague. This marathon forced me to put some words on the page and so I did. My new character eluded to what he could offer and then handed over a stack of papers. It may sound weak but getting going again has given me a new lease of inspiration and I know that one day soon my heroes will be able to read what's in those papers or maybe I'll be able to go back and deliver a more complete offering from the new guy. Any break in my writing is a cancer to my creativity and leads to unfinished works that I struggle to return to. I expect everyone's different (they usually are) b ut if you're like me and feel the need to just keep going then I have two piece's of advice. First join a marathon writing challenge and then feel free to be vague for the sake of momentum!

What distracted me this week from writing?
Everything, but next week will be different!


1 comment:

  1. I agree! A project could become stale if you leave it for long.
    I'm struggling to finish mine too this marathon!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete