Saturday 17 August 2013

WIPmarathon Check in #2

If you didn't know it already I am halfway through another marathon. Only this time I'm not in the Sahara desert, on the promenade in Nice or pounding out the pavements of London. This is my 'Work In Progress' marathon and I (along side some super #WIPbuddies) have challenged myself to finish my Albinia novel (as I am currently calling it) by the end of August.

If you want to see how my WIPbuddies are getting on click here

Word Count from last Saturday's check in  : 24,431

Word Count this Saturday is : 29,457

WIP issues this week?
Disillusionment! How did this happen? I'm not sure, I'm usually the most positive person in the room. Perhaps I just spent too much time on my own this week.
I nearly didn't enter the SCBWI Undiscovered Voices competition that I have spent ages preparing for. Luckily handsome hubby gave me a talking to and I am back on track. Although, I am now estimating my WIP will top out at about 47,000 words and I am averaging 5000 a week. This next week needs to be awesome or I shall be burning the midnight oil in the last few days.

What I learnt in writing this week?
A critique group is a fabulous thing! I met my SCBWI critique group for the first time this week and the first 2000 words of my WIP were discussed. The feedback I got was so incredibly useful I am kicking myself for not doing this ages ago. No offence to Mum and Hubby but these guys are tuned in to voice, continuity and point of view like friends and family simply are not. I recommend it to you all but have a sneaking suspicion I am the last person to jump on the band wagon.

What Distracted me this week?
Writing. Odd answer but I did get my competition entry in and I had to critique my fellow groupies work as well.

And now, for the first time ever, I have decided to be brave, bite the bullet and present my last 200 words of writing. Here we go:

Without thinking too much he released his grip on the handle of the forceps and gently eased his index finger under her skin. He was aware of Albinia chomping hard on her pillowcase and her chest was heaving but somehow she managed to keep her arm where it was.
Jack’s finger was pulling the wound open but he could feel the tip of something metal and so he kept going. The skin was ripping around his knuckle and fresh rivulets of blood dribbled down Albinia’s skin but hecouldn't stop now, he had the bullet trapped between his finger and the forceps. He curled his thumb around the shaft of the forceps to form a grip and gently eased backwards. Amazingly the bullet started moving and seconds later he held it aloft like a precious jewel.

Albinia dropped the pillowcase from her mouth and panted for air. ‘Nice.’ she managed between breaths. ‘I’m going to wash it again under the tap and then you can bandage me up. She hobbled off to the bathroom, pale and clammy whilst Jack studied the bullet. He was looking more than pleased with himself.

7 comments:

  1. Yes I agree with what you said about critique groups. My first novel (now safely hidden in the basement of a cave) was only read by my friends. Now I know better.

    Glad you got over your disillusionment and put yourself out there!
    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Critique groups scare me. Lol! I know it's helpful. I just like suffering alone, I guess. Kudos to you for putting yourself out there!

    Albinia is strong, wow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome! I really used to enjoy meeting with my creative writing group at university, I miss it. I'll have to find a local group to join!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disillusionment is my number one issue! It can be so crippling. But a critique group is a really great thing. So valuable to get other perspectives and support. Well done. Your excerpt is so intense! I love it. Really gripping and gritty and real; my favourite. I want more of this scene and this story! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Your excerpt had me cringing, but in a good way! I could picture every moment. Nice!

    I'm so glad you went through with your entry. And kudos to the hubs for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a writing group but we don't tend to share our stuff (although we are each aiming to have our stories finished for Dec. 14th to exchange over Christmas!). I fret over sharing large chunks of things, especially at first draft stage where I know everything sucks. But things like this are helping me be a bit more positive.

    I really liked your excerpt, even though it was nasty, haha. I had to write something similar the other day with prising an arrow out of my MC's shoulder and was just cringing my way through it. But the description was great and really brought it to life, nice job!

    Good luck with your words this week!

    (It won't let me post through my Wordpress which is annoying but I wanted to leave a comment so did it through Google instead!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Critique / writing groups are a really good way to get your work read by other writers, all of whom understand how difficult it is to get words down on paper and share them. If anyone's interested there's a new writers retreat weekend coming up with Ali Sparkes - a children's writer - on hand to critique work. http://www.spacetowrite.co.uk/

    I really enjoyed the piece of writing you showed us - gripping. My only comment would be that to me, forceps means baby delivery. Perhaps they are also used for other procedures (I don't really know), but maybe it would help if their size, type; the look of them generally, was described more clearly so the reader can visualise the instrument.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete